Tap into Beneplace for back-to-school savings and more
With summer winding down, it’s almost time for back-to-school shopping. And what better place to find all your back-to-school savings than Beneplace?
Beneplace has something for everyone in your household, including:
- Discounts on school supplies through Office Max
- Meal and snack prep ideas made easy through discounted Costco and BJ’s memberships
- Last-minute vacation specials, including hotel and rental car savings
- Discounts on technology, including computers, laptops, tablets, software, and phones
- Deals for your pets, including discounted Rover stays, Chewy subscriptions, and pet insurance
- Reduced prices on clothes, beauty products, sunglasses, jewelry, workout gear, and more
Visit Beneplace today to take advantage of these deals and more.
Mole or melanoma? Knowing the difference could save your life
With warm weather and sunshine, it’s only natural that we’re spending more time outside. But if you spend too much time in the sun, you’re putting your body at risk for skin damage and even cancer from UV rays. Skin cancer is the most common type of cancer in the United States, and melanoma is the most serious type of skin cancer. This type of skin cancer can lead to major health concerns (even death), so it’s very important to catch the disease early.
Here’s what you need to know about melanoma
Melanoma can affect any area of your skin, but it tends to appear on your face, chest, back, and legs. In rare cases it can pop up in your digestive system or eyes. If it isn’t treated, the cancer can spread to other parts of your body like your lymph nodes or internal organs.
The symptoms of melanoma can vary from person to person, but some of the most common include:
- Scaly, dry, or rough skin spots
- Moles that ooze, bleed, or crust
- Moles that have an uneven color
- Smooth, shiny, waxy, or pale lumps
- Painful, tender, or itchy spots or sores
- Ulcers on or near a mole or discolored spots of skin
Remember your ABCDEs
While moles or beauty marks are harmless, some skin spots, such as atypical moles, can be a sign of something serious.
The ABCDE test can help you spot an atypical mole:
- Asymmetric. It may have an uneven shape.
- Border. The mole’s rim may appear notched, blurred, or ragged.
- Color. It can be uneven shades of black, tan, brown, white, or blue.
- Diameter. These moles tend to be larger than a pencil eraser (but can be smaller).
- Evolving. It may change in shape, size, color, and height. You might also notice sudden crusting, itching, or ulceration.
When in doubt, make an appointment with your dermatologist to get your mole checked out. Don’t have a dermatologist yet? If you have a Cigna medical plan through BAE Systems, visit myCigna.com, select Find a Doctor, Mental Health/Confide/EAP Professional or Service, and search for Doctor by Type.
Find out which medical plan you’re in and get the most from your benefits
Many of us wonder which medical plan we’re in but are afraid to ask. Here’s how you can easily discover the medical and dental plan coverage you elected for 2022, as well as ways to make sure all your BAE Systems benefits continue to support you in your current life phase.
- First, visit BenefitsNavigator. If you’re already on the BAE Systems network, you can access it through the Benefits website using single sign-on. If you are outside the network, log on to BenefitsNavigator and enter your User ID and Password. If you’ve forgotten one or both, click “Forgot User ID or Password” and follow the instructions to reset your credentials so you can access the website.
- Once you’re on BenefitsNavigator, select Health & Insurance from the menu bar at the top of the page.
- Under Coverage Details, click Your Current Coverage at the top to view the name of your medical plan, the type of coverage you have, and other information about the benefits you elected for 2022.
Here’s an example of what you will see:
The top 5 things to do on BenefitsNavigator
Once you’re on BenefitsNavigator, you can explore your personal benefits information and resources:
- The details of your medical, vision, and dental plans. Doing so will help you understand what’s covered so you can have a sense of what you’ll pay when you go for your check-ups.
- Your health savings account and/or 401(k). Remember, you can increase or decrease your contributions to these accounts at any time.
- Your beneficiary designations. This is important! If it’s been a while since you designated your beneficiaries, now is a great time to review your choices and update accordingly.
- Your Total Value Statement. This page shows your salary to-date as well as what you and the company both contribute to the annual cost of your benefits.
- The Financial Education Center, which is your resource for all things financial, from building a budget to how to weather turbulent markets. Check out the calculators, videos, and other resources to help you continue to make smart money moves in 2022.
Well-being benefits that serve our veterans
May is Military Appreciation Month, in addition to being Mental Health Awareness Month. That means we remember, honor, and support all who have served and continue to proudly serve – especially in May. Just as you have kept us safe, we’d like to share several well-being benefits designed with veterans and their families in mind.
Confidential support for all through the Confide Behavioral Health Navigator / Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
The Confide / EAP offers confidential support through resources and counselors to help you navigate life’s challenges, including mental health issues. You and the members of your household are automatically enrolled in the Confide / EAP, and you don’t have to be in a Cigna medical plan to use the EAP’s tools and services.
Confide / EAP resources for veterans
Veteran Support Line: Call Cigna’s Veteran Support Line 24/7 at 1-855-244-6211 to speak with licensed Cigna behavioral therapists, some of whom are veterans themselves. They can provide you and your family members with free and confidential support to help you work through complex issues and crises. Their dedicated triage team can help direct you to the right resources and services, including:
- Pain management
- Substance use
- Counseling and treatment
- Financial issues
- Food, clothing, housing, and transportation challenges
- Parenting and child care needs
This service is open to all veterans – you do not have to be a Cigna medical plan member to use this service.
Mindfulness for Vets program: All veterans can receive training in stress management, acceptance, and compassion through Cigna’s Mindfulness for Vets telephonic program. Mindfulness therapy has been proven to have a positive impact on depression, stress, anxiety, performance, sleep, addiction, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
This program is open to all veterans – you do not have to be a Cigna medical plan member to participate. All sessions are conducted by a Cigna specialist and last about an hour. Several options are available.
- For veterans only: Every Tuesday at 5 p.m. Eastern time. Call 1-866-205-5379 (passcode 113 29 178) to join.
- For veterans, their families, and caregivers: Thursdays 8:30 to 9 p.m. Eastern time. Call 1-866-205-5379 (passcode 113 01 992) to join.
Support networks at BAE Systems
Join the Veterans Support Network (must be on the BAE Systems network to access). The VSN is an employee resource group that connects employees of the armed forces’ Total Force and its supporters. It provides seasoned mentors to help those transitioning to the private sector to enhance career development and continued professional growth. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Reach out to an Advocate. Advocates, some of whom are veterans, are specially trained members of the ABLE ERG who are available to any employee seeking emotional support and/or psychological safety. Locate an Advocate through the Advocate Directory (must be on the BAE Systems network to access).
Visit the Resilience page for resources to improve your well-being.
Time to stop ghosting the dentist
When was the last time you went to the dentist? If you haven’t been since 2020 or before the pandemic, it’s time to schedule that appointment before any minor issues become big problems.
Do any of these excuses for putting off dental visits sound like you? If so, read on for some dental straight talk.
1. I don’t have time.
A routine preventive visit to see your dentist takes no more than an hour. But if you postpone your visits, there’s a high likelihood that your appointment could take much longer than an hour—and you may need more appointments to deal with resulting dental problems. Save yourself time and money by getting preventive cleanings twice a year.
2. I’m nervous about visiting the dentist.
If you get nervous just thinking about a dental visit, you’re not alone. The more you delay dental treatment, the higher your risk of developing issues that require more dental visits to address. In fact, seeing your dentist regularly can actually make the entire process – from making an appointment to sailing through it – much easier on many levels. Here are some quick tips to ease your nerves:
- Talk about it. When you book your appointment, tell the receptionist you’re nervous about dental visits. Remind the dentist and dental staff about your anxiety when you arrive.
- Distract yourself. Listen to music or an audiobook with headphones on, or squeeze a stress ball.
- Breathe deeply. Take deep breaths to relax your muscles and mind.
3. Going to the dentist is too expensive.
As a Delta Dental member, any visits to the dentist for diagnostic and preventive services do not count against the annual maximum. Check to see if your preferred dentist is in the Delta Dental network by visiting DeltaDentalVA.com.
4. My health condition makes it hard for me to get to the dentist.
Researchers continue to find evidence that good oral health positively affects many medical conditions. Delta Dental’s Healthy Smile, Healthy You® program provides additional benefits for those with the following health conditions: pregnancy, diabetes, high-risk cardiac conditions, weakened immune systems, kidney dialysis or failure, and certain cancer treatments. If you have one or more of the above conditions, Healthy Smile, Healthy You allows you to receive an additional cleaning and exam beyond the plan limit.
To get started, download the Healthy Smile, Healthy You registration form located on the Members page at DeltaDentalVA.com.
5. I’m only interested in cosmetic treatments.
If that’s the case, you’ll need to make an appointment with your dentist to discuss your options and to make sure your teeth are ready for whatever treatment you and your dentist agree upon.
Need an implant? If you’re enrolled in the Delta Dental PPO High plan, implants with a network provider are covered at 80% of the cost after deductible, up to the annual plan limit. Teeth-alignment treatments more your concern? The Delta Dental PPO High plan covers 50% of the cost after deductible, up to a $2,000 lifetime limit.
Learn more about your Delta Dental coverage.
It’s Women’s History Month: Take time for self-care
In honor of Women’s History Month, we are focusing on the health and well-being of our female employees (many of whom are also caregivers). We encourage you to prioritize your health and improve your well-being with the various benefits and resources available.
If you are caring for children or adults
According to the CDC,* two out of every three caregivers in the United States are women providing daily or regular support to children and/or adults. Despite all their efforts to ensure that others get care, they often neglect themselves, risking their own physical and mental health.
Our benefits can help you find support and resources to make your day-to-day life a little easier, including:
- Help finding care for loved ones. Cariloop is a free concierge service that offers all employees access to certified Care Coaches, who will research and identify your care options, including those offered through Confide/EAP, Beneplace, Cigna, and Bright Horizons, as well as local and community options.
- Information, activities, and support for your children through Bright Horizons World at Home. All employees, regardless of medical plan, can use Bright Horizons World at Home to enhance their child’s learning and engagement outside the classroom, entertain children during rainy days or weekends, or register for parenting webinars led by early childhood education experts.
- 24/7 guidance and support for health issues. Cigna medical plan participants can call the 24-Hour Health Information Line to receive answers to health questions – such as treating a high fever or when a toddler’s cold could be more serious.
If you are concerned about a medical issue
Getting to the doctor’s office, let alone carving out time to make an appointment to see one, can be difficult. Get the care you need from wherever you are by using resources such as:
- A free second opinion on a medical issue from leading medical experts. All employees, regardless of medical plan, have free and confidential access to receive second opinions on medical treatments from the medical experts at Teladoc Health. With one call, you can connect with a team physician who will serve as your personal advocate to discuss your specific situation, gather medical records, and ensure your case is reviewed by some of the world’s leading experts.
- 24/7 care through telehealth services. This service connects you with a board-certified doctor through video chat, without having to leave home or the office. Learn more about telehealth.
- Personal health coaches. Available to Cigna medical plan participants, Cigna health coaches help you and your family maintain or improve your health and offer support on making lifestyle changes, managing chronic health conditions, and more.
If you are experiencing a financial hardship or concerned about your financial future
Sometimes, managing your finances and actually understanding the fine print can seem like a full-time job. We are here to help by providing these tools and resources:
- Free webinars and budgeting tools. All employees can access live and on-demand webinars led by a team of financial experts from Alight Financial Advisors on topics ranging from building a budget to planning for retirement. You can also fine-tune your financial know-how through the Financial Education Center, available on BenefitsNavigator.
- Short-term loans through Kashable. Available to employees with at least six months of employment at BAE Systems, Kashable is a safe and financially inclusive short-term loan program. With Kashable, you can receive competitive and unsecured loans ranging from $2,000 to $20,000 with a starting interest rate of 6%. Plus, you can repay your loan through automatic payroll deduction. Learn more about how Kashable can help you.
- Covered routine screenings and well visits. If you are a Cigna medical plan participant, your routine screenings are covered 100%, meaning there is no cost to you for taking care of your health.
If you are feeling stressed, anxious, or depressed
Dealing with a mental health or substance use disorder can be challenging and, at times, isolating. You are not alone. All Cigna medical plan participants have access to free, confidential resources to support them, including:
- Confide Behavioral Health Navigator / Employee Assistance Program. You and members of your household are automatically enrolled in our newly enhanced, free Employee Assistance Program, which ensures that you and your household members get access to the right care at the right time. Note: Confide/EAP is available to all employees, regardless of medical plan.
- Live and on-demand Wellness Webcasts on a variety of topics, including eating disorder recognition and support, stress management tips, managing change, and more. View the upcoming webcasts, and sign up for one or several today.
- Virtual behavioral health outpatient care, where you can connect with licensed counselors and physicians who can diagnose, treat, and prescribe medications for nonemergency behavioral and mental health conditions, including addiction, depression, grief and loss, relationship issues, and stress.
Ensuring access to health care and well-being resources for all employees
In honor of Black History Month, BAE Systems is spotlighting the tools and resources we offer to help ensure health equity to all our employees and their families. Health equity means everyone has the ability to achieve their highest level of health – physical, financial, emotional, and social well-being.
At BAE Systems
Forging connections to community helps us personally and as a company. That’s why we encourage all employees to explore Employee Resource Groups to help find a sense of community at work. Open to all employees, these groups help promote collaboration across the organization, as well as providing a forum for learning, understanding, and supporting professional growth through internal and external networking, programs, and activities.
The BAE Systems African Americans Committed to Excellence (AACE) ERG has a slate of programs and activities in honor of Black History Month. You do not need to be a member of the AACE ERG to participate, but we encourage you to visit their OneSpace page to learn more about the discussions, speakers, and events still to come this month.
As a group, African Americans experience significant health disparities, such as increased risk of certain diseases and chronic conditions, and limited access to preventive screenings. Our health care provider, Cigna, understands the importance of addressing health disparities and is working to close these gaps. As a reminder, if you are a member of a BAE Systems Cigna medical plan, your medical plan offers:
- Access to Cigna’s wellness programs, including personal health coaches and the Cigna 24-Hour Health Information Line featuring live support.
- 100% coverage for preventive care (no deductible or out-of-pocket cost to you for annual physical exams, lab tests, and age-appropriate screenings).
- 24/7 care through telehealth services that let you connect with a board-certified doctor through video chat without leaving your home or office.
- Representatives who can help you research surgery options.
- Access to convenient care for minor illnesses or routine vaccinations through retail or walk-in clinics at CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, and Target.
Systemic inequalities affect African American families trying to secure wealth and build financial wellness. Take advantage of the tools and resources we offer to promote financial equality, including:
- Free live and on-demand financial webinars as well as tools and resources available through the Financial Education Center on BenefitsNavigator.
- Access to competitive, unsecured short-term financial loans with a starting interest rate of 6% through Kashable.
The emotional toll of COVID-19 has been hard on everyone, but the pandemic has disproportionately affected people of color. If you’re experiencing stress for any reason, the Resilience Hub offers ideas for ways to improve your well-being. And our Confide Behavioral Health Navigator / Employee Assistance Program (EAP), available to all employees and their household members, offers free access to a host of resources, including the following:
- Wellness Webcasts feature ways to take care of yourself, including specific webcasts centered on coping with racial trauma and discussing race with children and colleagues.
- Talkspace lets you connect via text or video chat with a dedicated, licensed therapist in your state – anytime, anywhere. Get started by calling 1-800-591-9339 for your EAP code. Then, access talkspace.com/covered.
- iPrevail provides personalized coaching and learning tools in both English and Spanish that help build resilience and positivity. Visit confidenavigator.iprevail.com, and select Start a Program.
- Happify uses self-directed science-based games and activities, available in English and Spanish, to help build emotional skills and a healthy mind. Visit confide.happify.com, and enter your employer ID: baesystems.