Every year, BAE Systems, Inc. employees around the world participate in our Defending 22 Challenge – a 22-day challenge to raise awareness of the mental health issues many of our veterans face. This year, the Challenge will take place October 21 through November 11.
Why Defending 22?
Twenty-two. A 2012 study conducted by the Department of Veterans Affairs found that approximately 22 veterans, active-duty service members, guardsmen, and reservists take their own lives every day. While this number has since fluctuated, even one suicide is one too many. As the number 22 remains symbolic in the veterans’ mental health movement, we developed this challenge to take place over the course of 22 days.
What is the challenge?
For 22 days, employees are challenged to complete a personal health and wellness goal to serve as a daily reminder of those lost to suicide. In honor of each BAE Systems employee who registers to accept the challenge, BAE Systems will make a donation to an organization whose mission is dedicated to supporting the improvement of mental health and wellness for those who serve.
Our charity partners for this year’s campaign are Headstrong; Home Base; GallantFew; Team Red, White & Blue; and Wounded Warrior Project.
In addition to BAE Systems donating on behalf of employees who register, each employee and their family and friends can also make a difference with a personal donation to one of our Defending 22 charity partners. Learn more about how friends and family can participate.
These donations will allow our charity partners to help even more veterans in need. Plus, when an employee donates via the company's workplace giving portal, BAE Systems will match each donation dollar for dollar – doubling the gift’s impact.
How do I participate?
- Register to take the Defending 22 Challenge.
- Select a healthy habit or two to incorporate into your life for 22 days.
- Choose which organization you’d like BAE Systems to make a donation to on your behalf.
- Consider making an additional, personal donation to one of the organizations via the Workplace Giving portal.
- Share your success story by using #Defending22 on social media. Be sure to tag BAE Systems, Inc. (@baesystemsinc), and make your posts public.